Tips on how to avoid Phishing
Seeking to ensure banking security for our customers and in light of the apparent increase in phishing via sms. we at Bank of Jordan offer you helpful advises to raise awareness about how to avoid Phishing.
What is Phishing?
Phishing is one of the electronic fraud means that takes the form of an email or SMS message encouraging the recipient to reveal personal information, such as credit card number, account number, password, etc. These messages seem to be sent from a well-known and a highly credible source, but in fact they are not.
How can we distinguish Phishing messages from other messages?
Normally, phishing messages request personal information from you, while legitimate messages from known websites such as Bank of Jordan, Amazon and EBay will not ask you to provide your password or any personal information.
How do Phishing messages look like?
Phishing messages seem to be sent from Bank of Jordan official website or any other website asking you to update your account or make any other similar request, you should not respond. These types of messages can take the following forms:
- Urgent requests to provide personal information.
- Phrases that ask you to take quick and urgent actions.
- Requests that urge you to provide your username, password, accounts number, etc.
- Messages with strange subject title or replies to unusual subjects.
Bank Of Jordan will never ask you to reveal your username or password via e-mail or phone or any other way.
What to do if I received a Phishing message?
You should follow these steps:
- Do not respond.
- Do not call the number mentioned in the letter.
- Report the message by contacting Bank of Jordan Call Center around the clock.
What to do if I received a telephone call requesting to reveal private information?
Refuse to provide any private bank information, contact the Call Center immediately at 065807777 to report the caller.
What is the private banking information that you should not share with anyone, including bank employees?
- ATM or credit card PIN code.
- Online banking username and password.
- Phone banking services passcode or any other username or passcode you use for electronic banking services.
What to do if i have entered any financial or personal information on a Phishing website or if I was victim of any form of Phishing messages?
If you were a phishing victim, please follow these instructions:
- Contact the Call Center and report the received email message along with the type of information that you have provided.
- Follow the Call Center’s instructions.
- Immediately change your password for all your electronic banking accounts.
How do scammers obtain my email address or telephone number?
Normally, scammers do not target individuals, instead they randomly send thousands of emails or SMS messages to a large number of e-mail addresses or phone numbers to capture victims.
How do I protect myself from Phishing messages?
Keep your private information and don’t share it with anyone. Also, avoid sending your private information via email, SMS or pop-up windows.
If you are visiting a website, print the address directly in the browser’s address bar and do not click on links in any incoming email without checking if authentic, not suspicious or false.
Is it possible that Bank of Jordan would ask clients for their usernames or passwords?
No, but the Bank could contact you directly by phone, regular e-mail, SMS or any other mean to request general information that is not related to passwords, etc. Please do not reveal any private information under any circumstances.
How does Bank of Jordan contact its customers officially and directly regarding their transactions?
Bank of Jordan officially contacts clients through SMS or email address service that the customer previously registered for.
Tips to avoid ATM Skimming:
How does ATM Skimming work
Un-authorized person (Theft) use hidden electronics to steal your card information (Card number and PIN)
Dear our client, To avoid ATM skimming, you are kindly requested to check of the following points before using the ATM machine :
1. Do not accept help from any unknown / suspicious person when using the ATM
|2. Change your PIN time to time|
3. Check the card reader if it is not fake by moving it gently.
4. Check if there isn't a skimmer keypad over the ATM keypads.
5. Check if there isn’t camera pointed on keypad.
6. Make sure to close the PIN guard while entering the PIN.
Dear Client, if you face any of these points,please contact the Call Center immediately at +962 6 5807777 and report it.